Total Pageviews

Monday, September 10, 2012

What a Relief!

Had my 3rd parent meeting today and I have to say I am very impressed with the way this school handles parent complaints/issues/student concerns.  I was very nervous walking in to this meeting as the counselor told me how upset this mother was at her son's grade.  I spent about 1 hour and 45 min copying this students notes, lab book, and homework submitted.  I also copied the student sign in log to show he had only turned up 3 times for tutoring, and was also given a rubric explaining exactly how to bring his grade up.  I didn't have to use any of it.

This parent started the meeting off in a huff!  She was very upset at us teachers and went off for about 2 minutes about how we were not explaining to her son how he could succeed.  The counselor let her finish, then calmly said; "Well, the teachers are the professionals here so let's defer to them on how 'John' can succeed."  What a TRANSFORMATION!

All of us teachers spoke and said our peace, when we were done, "John" was left holding all the blame.  What a relief!  Not that "John" was left with all the blame, but that this school actually recognizes and gives credit to the teacher first!  Imagine that!  No wonder this is one of the top schools in the state!

No comments:

Post a Comment