Wow! I finished my 1st year teaching at a Title I high school (population 1,216 students), and taught my 2nd year at a school in my backyard (no more commute) with a population of only 649 students. While teaching during my 2nd year, I enrolled in a professional development course through ASU and was recruited to apply at a new school. I was hired and am now teaching my 3rd year of high school at a school 49.1 miles away from my house with a population of 3,600!
During my 2nd year of teaching, I started out the school year with a feeling of relief. I thought I would no longer have the student issues with discipline, behavior, and academics (not turning in their homework). I quickly found out within the first month this would not be the case. Not only did I have the exact same issues I had my first year of teaching, but a whole list of other issues to add to the pile.
Needless to say, I was exhausted and really starting to question my decision to enter the field of education. During my time in the professional development course, I met one of the Assistant Principal's of my new school. He approached me in week 12 of the course and said he was really impressed with my professional demeanor and teaching philosophy. He wanted to know if I would consider applying for a position with his school (the new school I am at this year. I am really excited about the new opportunities at this school and they really focus on student behavior and academics. Such a change of pace.
My days are extremely long now (adding in the new commute times), however I have a lot of support from my new co-workers. Looking forward to a great 3rd year!
No comments:
Post a Comment