I have been teaching at a different school now for an entire semester. Although this new school is not designated as a "Title I" school, I am intrigued to learn that after the 2010 census was released, our school is approximately 0.3% points away from being designated as a "Title I" school. With all of the issues coming from the economy, I am not surprised at that results. That combined with the fact our community has gained 10 years as the average age (meaning the people living here only aged 10 years, nobody younger moved in to our area), I am not surprised our little district is suffering.
Moving to a new school with a smaller district has it's benefits and risks. It is nice to be in a small district, however I have lost all of the support I received from a larger district. I have lost my Professional Development Coordinator, my Science Department chair, my Biology content Specialist, my Physical Science content Specialist, Technology Specialist, and the Science Curriculum Specialist. I have also lost the Sub Coordinator, and Attendance Liaison. It has been an adjustment to say the least.
Even though I am at a different school with a much different demographic, I still see the same issues. Students still lie, they still cheat, they still don't show up to class, they still lie to their parents, and they still back talk and disrespect me. Still have the same classroom management issues I had at my old school, but with some improvements on a personal level. I still have issues with the Special Education Department, although the IEP meetings are more comprehensive and thorough than the old school.
Second year teaching has offered many new challenges. I would have loved to stay at my old school and reform my teaching techniques. As it stands, I have been reforming my techniques and trying to create new ones at the same time.
I am teaching a different load this year. I found out a week before school started I would be teaching 2 honors physics classes & 1 regular physics class. I am not certified to teach physics. Yeahoo for Arizona deeming itself as a "Highly Qualified Educator" state. Absurd. Now, I am teaching 3 physics classes, 3 biology classes and have no prep period. 180 students. 3 preps. Can you tell it has been a hard day? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment