Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

3rd Quarter

The end of the 3rd quarter is in 4 days and I am so ready! I am ready to get out of town and relax for a little while!

Now that I have come to accept the fact I will not be teaching at my school next year. I have noticed my attitude change dramatically. I no longer care about making sure my students meet the objective of the day - just that they learn something while sitting in my class. This frustrates me to no end. I should have never put myself in a situation where I feel this way. I entered in to teaching for the love and passion of touching the lives of young adults. Now I am just writing lessons designed to "have fun" and still meet the objectives of the lesson, but no longer care if they actually grasp the concept or not. This is not acceptable.

How did I end up this way? I started out so full of life and love for learning that somewhere I lost "that loving feeling" with education. I unfortunately got caught up in the politics and hung up on the depression of the educational system that I feel hopeless. I am hoping an evening watching 'Waiting for Superman' will re-instate some of that passion for teaching I so feverishly held on to during my first semester of teaching.

All of the other teachers have been pretty sympathetic. They are all full of suggestions and tips on how to keep my job or how to make sure I stay with teaching. Unfortunately, it is too little too late. I feel helpless against my administration who I fear has their hands tied even worse than I do. I do not blame them by any means, however the entire system has failed. I don't think America as a society has anyone to blame for the failure of the educational system but ourselves. Each and every one of us holds a civic duty to make sure the value of our educational system stays above water. Each of us has failed. Myself included.

No matter where my career takes me in the future, I pledge to myself and my future children to do my part and attend school board meetings, make educated decisions when electing my government officials, and making my voice heard when decisions are to be made regarding education.

Now, off to bed and to finish grading late papers that were due in January.

1 comment:

  1. <3 <3 <3 love you girl. Hit me up if you want to get together sometime this week before you leave :)btw... you tried your damned best. I know you did. That's what matters. This teaching gig might not be your thing, but education will always be a part of you. Who knows what your future holds? I have a feeling something amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete