Total Pageviews

Monday, May 2, 2011

Academic Awards Assembly

We had an assembly on Friday 4/29/11 to honor all the students who had achieved academic excellence this year at our school. The principal did a great job recognizing the students and facilitating the assembly. It made me very sad I would not be there next year to share in the future plans of the school.

Then came my confirmation.....

I was standing next to the Assistant Principal of Instruction (API) and a security guard. The assembly is going on and there is one boy, who looked like a freshmen, causing a disruption by his actions and behavior. He was disturbing me and I was across the aisle and down away from him. So, I got up and moved to stand near his vicinity. I made eye contact with him and usually all the classroom management books say this will correct the behavior because then the kid knows you are on to him. Didn't work. He continued his rude and disruptive behavior. So, I looked at him and placed my finger over my lips to hush him up. Didn't work. So, I moved to sit directly behind him in the middle of the row. Disturbing all the students along the way. Still didn't work. At this point, I noticed his lanyard said "F*ck You" all over it. I tapped him on the shoulder and told him I needed his lanyard. He removed his lanyard from around his neck, and put it in his backpack. Then he turned to me and said, "You want it, come and get it."

I got up, walked up to security guard and told him the kid had something in his backpack that needed to be confiscated (which he had already passed on to his buddy), slapped hands with his "homies" and walked out of the aisle to meet the security guard to go to the office. He knew he was going. When the API looked at me, I said, "Well, he passed that off." The API just said, "yeah, well - what can you do?" WHAT?!?!

I'll tell you what you can do - you can march all of those boys down to the office, search all of them and do whatever the Dean is supposed to do with insubordination! If these kids never receive a punishment, what incentive is there for them to actually do something about it?!?! This is just ONE example of the attitude I get from some of the administrators at my school! "What can you do?" Excuse me, are you or are you not an ADMINISTRATOR!?! You are the boss! The buck stops with YOU! Great model to serve to your teachers and students by the way.

Guess I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment