Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 26, 2010

End of the First Semester

School ended for students on the 16th of December and teachers had to report back on the 17 to enter in grades and check out for winter break. I had to wait until now to post my reflection on my first semester of teaching.

I ended the semester on a bittersweet note. My Physical Science students bombed the final exam. The final consisted of 38 questions all multiple choice on material we have spent 18 weeks covering. The class average for all 3 of my classes was a 52.1%. My Biology kids did a little better. The two classes ended with an average of 66.8%. I still consider that average to be failing. For both classes, I spent 2 days reviewing with them. I created powerpoints with all the questions from the final and we had class discussions about all the questions and why the correct answers were correct. We did review sheets, and I asked the students to review in small groups. About 1/4 of them actually reviewed in class when given the time to.

What am I doing wrong? My mentor teacher next to me said that I had average test scores, but I do not consider myself an "average" teacher. Despite all the labs and activities I created for these kids, they still failed the final. What do I do? Do I keep going? Do I keep doing what I am doing or should I change something? If so, what do I change?

I spend 100% of my awake time working on stuff for school. Even when I am driving, I am thinking about teaching. I am reflecting on the day, thinking about tomorrow and writing questions in my head for the next week. What do I change? How do I know I am actually teaching? How is that measured? If my kids are not learning science, how do I know they are learning anything?

My physical science scores really disappointed me. I do so many labs and activities with the kids, and it has not proven to be beneficial at all. What do I do? I know one thing for sure..... I do not EVER want to go back to being a 1st semester, 1st year teacher EVER again! I am thankful for the experience, but boy if my students haven't learned anything, I sure have learned a lot!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your milestone girl! You're clearly not doing anything wrong in my eyes! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete