Well, it has been 11 hours now and I am still mad.
So, I emailed my principal and set up a meeting with him before school tomorrow. I have a few issues I would like his counsel on....
#1. No Pass, No Play. As a teacher, we are to submit a weekly report to the Athletics Department of all our athletes who are not passing our class. However, If the student completes necessary work and gets their grades up, then they can have the teacher sign a slip of paper saying they are passing class so they can play. For me, this has turned in to a harassment. Students coming to me saying, "Miz, why won't you let me play?" and coaches saying, "What can WE do to get him/her to pass?" Enough. I am done. This is done every week so if they are not passing, then for that week, they are not playing. End of story. I do EVERYTHING for these kids besides their work for them (which I technically do in my teaching). They have EVERY opportunity to pass my class. We have an entire class period dedicated to monitoring students grades and getting homework done. Enough is Enough. If they are playing a sport, we need to hold the students accountable to check their own grade and make sure they are passing.
#2. Counseling and Parent Conferences. Not enough credit is being given to teachers for trying EVERYTHING to get the student to care about their grade. These counselors have been sitting in these parent meetings making suggestions for teachers to request the student to see them in advisory to catch up on missing work or missing assignments. Why is this even being discussed in a parent conference? Parent conferences need to focus on BEHAVIOR and CHOICES the student is making. Not the "lack of time" they have had to do their work.
#3. Technology in the classroom. I have a set of classroom clickers I would love to use in the classroom to incorporate technology. No one can tell me who has the software to go with the clickers. No one can tell me how to set up the clicker system. I have an Airliner to go with my SMART board. No one can tell me how to install it or how to set up my computer system with the receiver so it will work in my classroom. My projector screen is hanging by support beams in my room. Every time a student runs in the hallway on the floor above me, it off-sets my projector screen and I have to re-calibrate the SMART Board. Highly inconvenient and annoying - but livable.
#4. How do I initiate paperwork or what am I supposed to do with students who have more than 25 absences? How are they going to literally pass my class?
I will probably think of more, but this is the meat and potatoes for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment