Chaperoned a field trip to Castles 'n Coasters today with the Physics class. Today was "Physics Day" at Castles 'n Coasters so schools from all around the valley came to enjoy fun Physics activities and roller coasters. Everyone had a blast. I got to ride roller coasters all afternoon and spent the morning getting a good chunk of grading done.
As we were waiting outside for the park to open, I noticed a luxurious charter bus pull up. Kids got off the bus carrying boxes and waiting for their teacher. As the kids walked closer, I noticed I recognized quite a few of them. They were from the school where I completed my student teaching last year! They recognized me and asked how things were going. I also got to say hello to the teachers from the Science Department at my student teaching school. They were surprised I chose to teach at such a challenging school. Apparently my school has quite a reputation. I told them that my year has been difficult, as I am sure all teacher's years are during their first year. They seemed happy to see I at least had a job teaching and wished me luck.
The boxes the kids were carrying were the projects and Physics activities for all the kids to participate in for the day! The kids set up the stations and administered all the activities for other schools. I was very impressed by their level of knowledge and professionalism. Everyone had a blast and it was VERY nice to see the kids outside the classroom environment.
We got back to school at 4:00pm and school ended at 3:05. I was very tired and when I got back to my room, I noticed my substitute had some not-so-nice-things to say about my students. I also noticed she did not collect any homework and none of my Physical Science kids even started their projects I left for them to work on. I grabbed some referral forms from my desk to write up the misbehaving students, locked everything up and left. Very discouraging, but nice to know it is not just me they refuse to do work for.
No comments:
Post a Comment