Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Substitutes

I took 2 days off for my sister's wedding. I took Friday & Monday off. I left very specific substitute plans to show a video on Friday, and for them to complete a worksheet on Monday. Very simple instructions and very simple lesson plan. I instructed all my classes I would write them a referral for giving the sub any grief and warned them to be on their best behavior. How bad could it be?

I get back to my room this morning and my classroom is trashed. Papers and trash are all over the desks, my desks have been tagged with graffiti, and textbooks are all over the tables and on top of chairs.

Friday sub left me no notes about what happened that day. Thank you - always appreciate the feedback. The sub on Friday also did not take attendance ALL DAY. No record of any attendance at all.

Friday, all classes were to watch LIFE: Insects and write down 10 facts from the video to turn in for credit. I left the LIFE DVD under the remote control to turn on the projection screen for them to watch the movie. Easy to find and not miss right? TOTALLY WRONG!

Instead of showing LIFE, this sub decided to show the VHS tape of Top Gun in my VCR. I have been showing CLIPS from Top Gun to my advisory kids for Fun Fridays because about 3 kids in there want to go in to the air force. This Einstein of a sub showed the entire movie all day to all of my classes! AWESOME! What is even better - is the list of 10 facts I got back from my students. Their facts include but are not limited to: (yes, some of my students are this good at spelling)

"Navy pilots all war white suits."
"Tom Cruse is in the movie."
"All the men sing off key."
"The man enters the ladys room with her."
"They go to the room and they turn off the lights."
"The boy leaves a note on the gurls bed."
"They went to the room and got naked."
"A guy doesn't like Tom cruse because hes too dangerous"
"Ms. Dooley should marry Mavrick."

and my personal favorite.....

"Miss Dooley, I think we were seeing another movie. The movie we saw wasn't about insects. Why did you make us watch a movie about airplanes in a biology class?"

Monday my students were just devils. The sub had nothing nice to say about any of my classes. Also, I got about 1/4 of the work turned in they were actually supposed to do. Oh, and my room was trashed. Love the fact I can leave and relax knowing my students are so awesome.

I emailed the Principal's secretary with my concerns and won't have him sub for me ever again!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, huh? This is the reality of the respect students give you when you are gone and substitutes who think it is okay not to follow the lesson plan!Glad one student realized that Top Gun does not belong in Biology???? How could a sub not figure out how inappropriate that was????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a professional sub but for primary school. If a teacher has left work I will do it. What you left sounded easy to do and should not have been an issue. So they suck as subs. Sorry to hear about your classroom.

    ReplyDelete