Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

3 Referrals and a Suspension

Well - I don't want to be that teacher who writes referrals. However......today was referral day.

First of all, we had a late start day which means students don't have to be at school until 10am. 1st period - had 2 students who refused to work on their lab measuring 3D objects. After repeatedly asking one to get to work, I asked him to move to another seat at the front of the classroom. He decided it would be fun to mock me and repeat everything I was saying in a high-pitched voice. I sent him to the Dean's office with a referral. Student #2 decided not to work and instead distract his classmates with mindless chatter about partying and drinking. I sent him to the Dean with a referral and he decided it would be great to write "F*#K this class" on his lab and leave it on top of his desk when he left. He ended up getting suspended (FINALLY).

Student #3 came after lunch. My little Drama Queen. She decided today of all days was a perfect day to backtalk me and interrupt me when I asked her a question. I have had it with this lil' darlin'. I have had the "Come to Jesus" talk with her about 3 times so far this year and today, since I had already written 2 referrals, it just seemed easier to write another one. In my defense, I gave her the option of getting over the issue, taking a walk to calm down and get a drink of water, or excusing herself to the Dean's office. She chose the latter. Not my issue anymore. Chumped that big block of paperwork on her counselor's desk. Get this......her counselor won't even schedule a parent meeting unless an administrator is present! Apparently - she has tried to talk to the mother before, and now will not do so again without an administrator present! Hmmmm...... I wonder where she gets the attitude from?

I am getting really discouraged. I am not teaching. I am babysitting. I am seriously babysitting. This is not what I signed up for. I spent 1.5 weeks going over how to graph, find slope and y-intercept with my Physical Science class. I gave them a quiz that was the EXACT copy of the worksheet we have been working on for 1.5 weeks. My highest average was a 47.5%. I'm over it. I am losing my voice, patience, and temper far too often.

People keep telling me to just let it go. I CANNOT LET IT GO! I have too much energy and enthusiasm still in me to teach. I think what I am going to do with BIO is literally only teach what is covered on the District final exam, and the rest, do labs. At least with labs they are doing something and I don't have to grade as much paperwork. Let's see how long this philosophy lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment