Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Please, Ditch!

So today was Day 2 of AIMS testing. In my testing room, we were supposed to have 8 students show up. 5 actually did. Testing went okay, but boy am I glad that is over! 3 hours of doing nothing but watching a kid take a test is worse than actually taking a test! :(

Today we met with our 3rd period class and our 5th period class. I had Biology 3rd period and Physical Science 5th period. Biology we did a liver enzyme lab which by all means is DISGUSTING! I had to cut up calf liver for the students to test. EWWW! The smell! I also had to puree calf liver and let me tell you, nothing tests your stomach more than pureeing raw calf liver.

So, I spent about 2 hours creating this lab. I wrote the lab, prepped the lab material, and got ready for the lesson. I handed out the lab to my Bio kids, and told them to complete the prelab in their lab notebooks before starting the lab. I must have had to repeat the directions 15 times despite the directions being written on the lab sheet I gave them. I swear these kids have cotton in their ears.

Completing my education, we were always taught the best form of learning is student-centered exploratory learning. This is where you give the students minimal instruction, then let them figure it out on their own. This would work if I had 2 day class periods. They seriously will not do anything unless they are spoon fed the exact steps they are required to do. What exploratory learning? Every time I turn around it was, "Miz, Miz, Miz, what are we supposed to do here?" How do you teach students to think for themselves?!

I had a student in particular that was being obnoxiously defiant today. When I refused to help him by repeating the directions for the 16th time (even though they are written in their lab), he stated, "Well, I knew I should have ditched this class today." I spun around so fast I gave myself whiplash. I responded with, "Would you please ditch? Please, if you have no intention of working, don't show up. I have been trying to figure out how to get you to stop wasting my time and you keep showing up!"

Probably not the best of things to say but I seriously meant it. I can't get a kid out of my class even if they don't want to be in my class, and I don't want them in my class, I can't get them out. His saving grace is the fact that he shows up to make my life a living hell! :(

On a side note, my one student who has cussed me out twice showed up for his detention today! I can give out detentions for tardies now and I wrote him up as part of my classroom policy. When I gave him the detention slip today, I fully expected him to cuss me out again. He didn't. I told him he could either serve the detention with me, or with the Dean of Students. He chose to serve it with me! When he showed up, I about fell to the floor! I told him we would use his detention time to make up his quizzes and exams he has missed from his excessive absences. He said "ok." WHAT?!? OK?!? So, I gave him his quiz and test. I gave him minimal instruction and he completed it! REALLY?! WOW! He even raised his hand to ask me a question! When he was done, I thanked him for coming in and told him I appreciated his time to get this made up. He asked me when he could turn in his absent work. Again, I picked up my jaw from the floor and told him he could turn it in as soon as he had it done. He stacked his chair and left! No swearing, no cussing, no fight, I was SHOCKED! I am still shocked! Let's hope this lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment