Today went ehh.......okay. I have been working with my physical science kids on graphing and finding the slope. This is a simple math equation that my students are allowed to use calculators on to determine the final value. These kids don't even know how to use a calculator. This is going to be harder than I thought.
Every Wednesday, we either have a late start day (which means the kids do not have to come to school until 10am), or an early release day (the kids get out of school 1 hour earlier). This extra time without students is supposed to be spent in a Professional Learning Community (PLC) with other teachers in our content area. Since I have 2 different classes to prepare for, I have been having to attend 2 different meetings every Wednesday. This is a little stressful, however I am very thankful for my neighbor-ing Physical Science Master Teacher next door. He has been so helpful (and Steve if you are reading this, THANK YOU!) He always provides me with a copy of his course calendar for my reference so I can make sure I am teaching in alignment with him. He also provides me with countless support in teaching, and advice when I have no idea which direction is up. His PLC's that he is in charge of are straight, and to the point. We get in, start the meeting, and move on with life. My Biology PLC's are a different story.
First of all, I get to the Biology PLC after the Physical Science PLC. I have intentionally done this in this order because of the efficiency of Steve and the in-efficiency of Biology. I get to Biology and when I get there, they are still talking about gossip and sharing stories about troublesome students. Then, by the time I reach my last thread of patience, we finally start talking about the content of Biology. Keep in mind this is now about 3:30 and we are supposed to be done by 3:10. I wish the PLC's were more about sharing ideas for lab activities, or sharing knowledge on how to use technology more often in the classroom, but oh well. I am taking it one day at a time.
Biology students took their first quiz today. This quiz was a simple vocabulary quiz over 1 section of the chapter we are covering on the chemistry of life. I told them if they didn't want to do vocabulary, or packets, then they needed to take the initiative themselves and complete the work I assign on their own conscience and study for the quizzes. I will have about half of them re-taking the quiz. This is all material that was covered in the reading, and in my lectures! WHAT ARE THEY DOING?! Apparently my lectures are going in one ear and out the other ear if they are even going in at all! We will see if this gets any better.
No comments:
Post a Comment