We had to turn in our requests for scheduling last week. Our school asked that one teacher from each core (science, math, english, social studies) teach an ESO schedule which is a night school schedule. Basically you would teach 3 classes per day Monday - Thursday from 11:30am - 6:00pm. Still the same hours of teaching but you would be teaching only 2 core content classes and your advisory class (homeroom).
I am in a dilemma. I do not have seniority to teach only one prep (ie: all biology classes). If I do not elect to teach the ESO schedule, I would probably be faced with teaching the same biology and physical science classes all over again next year. That was not an option for me. I love the freshmen kids, but the content of physics and chemistry is just BLAH for me! I find it personally so uninteresting that I have had such a difficult time teaching it all year because I can't find a way to make it fun because I don't think it is fun! I want all Biology. Not just because it is the coolest subject known to man, but because I really only want 1 prep! I am exhausted trying to come up with new and interesting ideas for things to do in the classroom. I would LOVE to focus all my time and energy on one subject and make it awesome!
Also, I am really getting burnt out from having to "slow down" my curriculum because students cannot subtract 5 from 8. I seriously have to have calculators on hand for everything. They cannot even read an analogue clock. I had to put a digital one in my room so they could enter the time they leave and the time they return from the bathroom. I really don't feel like I am teaching. Especially after seeing the results of my CRT test scores. I really feel more like a babysitter than a teacher and that is not fun for anyone to go to every day for work.
According to our great state of Arizona, I am not qualified to teach dual-enrollment. You have to have 24 upper division (300+ level) classes in the content area you want to teach. I currently have 16. I need 8 more. I have been looking online at ASU here and they offer a wide range of classes I could take. Problem: They are only offered MWF from 9:40am - 10:30am with a 4 hour lab at various times. The ESO schedule offers me an opportunity. I could teach the ESO schedule, then take 4 credits in the fall, 4 credits in the spring, and by 2012-2013 school year, be eligible to teach dual-enrollment Biology. YEAY?! This way, I would HOPEFULLY get all BIO prep and get a class of kids who are more "dedicated" to their education? Maybe? Anyway, even if I don't get the more driven kids, when you teach dual-enrollment, you get a $500 stipend per student enrolled in the class to purchase materials for the class. This means WAY COOLER LABS!!! YEAHOOOO!!!!! For now.....that is the plan.
ESO schedule offers up some potential problems too. For instance, the students who are going to be the majority of the population enrolled in ESO are for credit recovery. This means that for one reason or another, they failed the class. It could have been that they were absent too many times, or they didn't do their homework, or they failed all their tests and didn't do any homework, or they were pulled from the regular class for behavior issues. Awesome. I am concerned.
3:30pm every day, our campus is empty. Doors are locked, kids are still hanging out on the campus, and it is extremely difficult to track anyone down. Who do I call if there is a behavior issue? What about safety? Is there going to be someone there when we get out at 6:00pm and it is pitch black to make sure these kids get home safe? Will someone watch the bus stops to make sure these kids are not harrassed? Who will be my back-up if I am harassed? Right now, the teacher next to me I know is there if I need him, but seriously?! Who?
I asked my principal all these questions and he said that by law, one administrator is required to be on campus any time a school-sponsored event is held (ie: football games, classes, etc.). He also said there would be 2 security guards on campus too. I could contact them if needed.
I signed up to teach the ESO schedule. Let's see what this delivers......
No comments:
Post a Comment