Well, I found out that one of my students became a father over Christmas Break. His son was born on 12/30/10. I had no idea how to respond to him.
He is 16 years old and lives in a group home. He told me before the Christmas break he would not be back next year (2011) because he was going to be adopted by a family who lives in the West valley. I guess they couldn't adopt him now because he is a father....???
How am I supposed to counsel him? Is it even my job to counsel him? How can I advise a student what they are supposed to do when I have NEVER been in his situation? I am 28 years old and single with no children. I have never had to worry about day care, going to school and trying to find a sitter, or making sure I have enough money to buy diapers. This is a kid who just last week, I had to take away his cell phone for texting in class! What?!?
I basically just told him I was going to be much harder on him this year. I told him I would be much harder on him this semester and he needed to step up and put on his "A game." Now he has another person depending on him for their well-being and he can't let them down.
I am totally not prepared or qualified to be doing this!
No comments:
Post a Comment