Well - I typed up a HUGE post and went to post it and it kicked me out and did not save the post. I now realize I am not as hyped up as I was before so the short end of it is....... I am now understanding the mentality of the low-income families.
It seems to me, that the majority of my students do not find anything wrong with placing the blame for their mistakes on everyone else. In my room, this falls on my shoulders. "Miss, you didn't teach me this good enough. Miss, you didn't give me enough time to do this. Miss, you didn't say we had to finish the WHOLE lab. Miss, you didn't tell me we had to write in complete sentences. Miss, you never said we had a test today. Miss, you didn't remind us yesterday that we had homework due today."
How is any of this my fault? I have an entire whiteboard dedicated to what is called the "Homework Log." I update it each week with the homework for the entire week. Students know when all their homework is due for the whole week. Even if they are absent, or at court, or in ISS, they know exactly what their homework is and when it is due. How is this my fault?! I even put up there...."study for test on Thursday" for the entire week in addition to their homework when they have work due on a specific day.
Short walking up to each student and telling them specifically, I am not sure what else I can do?
Some rules you shouldn't have to repeat! Good golly girl- you've got a handful... it's definitely not your fault, I hope you know that, I'm sure you do! Love you!!! <3
ReplyDeleteI love your blog!No accountability on their parts. People have been letting them get away with it until this point. I'd probably be removed from the classroom because I'd let loose and it wouldn't be pretty!
ReplyDelete