The bio instructor saw my disappointment and quickly added at the end of his soul-crushing statement..... "the district does not consider dissections a part of our budget, but if you have time at the end of the semester to fit some in, if there is money, I am sure we will make it happen for you." That made me feel better but, huh? Dissections are the best part of biology (in my opinion!) That is the time where kids get to play "doctor" and take an animal or organism they are already familiar with like a fish, or squid, or frog and cut it up! Learn by opening stuff up and finding what's inside! I am seriously going to have to figure something out.
I asked if the kids don't do dissections in high school, when will they ever do them? How do they learn about their own bodies and the organ systems of other animal species? I didn't get an answer to satisfy my curiosity, but in my student teaching, I also taught courses in Zoology and an Honors Anatomy and Physiology course. We did all kinds of dissections!
On the good side, when I interviewed for my position with my school - they did tell me the current Anatomy teacher would not be teaching Anatomy again next year (2011-2012). My principal did seem interested to know I did my student teaching in Anatomy and suggested when the vacancy opens up, to apply to teach Anatomy the following year. Maybe I can also incorporate or pioneer a Zoology course as well? Maybe the Zoology course could be an after school club that I sponsor and we could pull the funding for the specimens that way? Hmmm.... something to think about.....
No comments:
Post a Comment