So we met the Dean of Students today for our school and she went over discipline and the dress code. BIG REALITY CHECK
CHANTEL! She started going over what to be on the look-out for and I guess the new thing now is kids who belong or are
affiliated with a gang will place a color-coordinated handkerchief in their back pocket. But it is not just taking Grandpa's old handkerchief and stuffing it in their pocket. Oh no, these are IRONED and folded according to status. If it is folded a certain way, they are trying to get in to a gang, or folded another way, they are actually in a gang. Also, T-Shirts! Kids are not allowed to layer their t-shirts. If a kid is wearing a blue shirt under a red shirt, then that is the "Blood" gang dissing the "Crips." Because the Crip colors are blue.
My eyes became the size of saucers and I hesitantly raised my hand and asked if we were going to be provided any background information on the Bloods or Crips so we would know what to be on the look-out for and the Dean of Students said, "Oh, there are so many different ones, I don't think I could name them all." WHAT?!?
I spoke with some veteran teachers at the orientation later today and they assured me that my high school does not have such a gang severity presence on campus. He told me that yes, there are gangs here, but not as severe as other campuses. whew?
I need to do some more research on this.....but what is that old saying......oh, "Ignorance is Bliss?"
No comments:
Post a Comment