Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'm In!

Lab section of classroom with cardboard partitions blocking window.
(My lecture portion of classroom is directly behind the cardboard)

Lecture section of classroom


Okay so today was the first day of the New Teacher Orientation and I am in my classroom! I had quite an adventure today. I met two other new teachers who are new to the district but both have prior teaching experience. I am the only new teacher who has no teaching experience! Much to my regret, I did have to switch classrooms. My new classroom has lots of windows, but not to the outside world, and is much smaller. The lecture portion of the classroom is separated by a wall full of windows and a door to the laboratory which I share with the teacher next door. I have all the gadgets and technology the last classroom had, but not as much room. It is almost better because I don't feel so overwhelmed with all the space! Today was full of cleaning, and scrubbing graffiti off table tops. I am now collecting tennis balls to put on the feet of the chairs so they don't make such a screeching noise when they are pushed in or out from under the tables.

I packed my lunch today like a good girl, then before the lunch break, we had to go on a scavenger hunt as part of our orientation. I left my lunch in the training room and returned to retrieve my lunch but the room was locked and the trainer was no where to be found! :( Wendy's it was for me! Oh well, at least I will have my lunch ready for tomorrow.

Since the new room has windows to the hallway, I have enlisted the help of my mother to make curtains to hinder student distractions and replace the cardboard which is currently in the windows right now. I am hoping to allow in a little light, but block out any menacing students to disrupt student learning.

My principal and administration staff is amazing! They all came in to meet us today and introduce themselves and I am so lucky to have such a supportive staff behind me in the classroom. Tomorrow I have training at the district office all day so hopefully that will fill in a lot of questions I have about district policies. Off to a great start!




2 comments:

  1. Hey Chantel- just letting you know that I've been reading all your posts. I'm so proud of you- you have no idea. I am literally at this very moment fighting tears as I read your post. Tears of joy, of course. :)

    May the passion you have stay with you forever. I have a feeling it will.

    Peace my friend.
    DeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought me to tears! I can't wait for you to come and see it!

    ReplyDelete