The district provided us with breakfast and lunch again which is wonderful, but I am not sure how much more of cafeteria food my poor tummy can handle! I felt quite sick after lunch. Maybe it is nerves, maybe it is an ulcer, or maybe it is the 2 week old soy milk I put in my coffee this morning, but whoo baby! I did not feel good after lunch! During our lunch break, I had a chance to chat with the Bio instructor and I kept asking questions about what to do with students on the first day of class. I have heard conflicting information. Only go over the syllabus and class rules on the first day. Start the first day immediately with instruction. Start off with an activity for the kids to do right off the bat. I need to do something that does require some work on my students' part. All the books including Harry Wong state you should start the first day off immediately with something to do regarding your content area in order to establish classroom management immediately. I like this idea, as all other teachers are going to be going over a classroom syllabus and rules. I want my class to be different and stand out.
The BIO instructor suggested having a simple activity for kids to do as an introduction to the field of biology and the study of living things. "Have a few interesting items set out on the table and have the kids move around the room stating if the item is either living, or non-living." When I kept asking him to elaborate or offer other ideas, he saw my vigorous note-taking as he was talking. I left our conversation still wanting more ideas.
Later during our afternoon session, he came over to me and offered to put together a packet of some simple activities for kids to do on the first day. I was ELATED! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
I am really pleased at how our district is so "pro-inquiry based thinking." This method of instruction does require some more research by the teachers (especially new teachers), but research proves students are more involved in the class, and retain more information when they have to figure it out on their own. I have also been impressed at the level of technology available to us in the classrooms. All high schools in the district are equipped with the laptop carts, in addition to Vernier LabQuest Technology. It is incredible! You hold an electronic device in your hand, plug in some sensors to test whatever you are testing and volia! The technology speaks for itself! This stuff is not cheap either. But, the district has spent a lot of time training all new teachers on different ways this can be incorporated in to your classroom.
Whew! I need a nap!
No comments:
Post a Comment