Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

To Go or Stay

Today I was approached (via email) by my principal to attend a week long seminar on writing grant proposals for the classroom. It would be from 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday all week next week. I would have to plan lessons for the entire week and trust my kiddos to a sub! AUGH! I really want to go but I am SO NERVOUS about leaving my kids!

I had a sub for one class period so I could attend an IEP meeting and he used to teach Science in my school district so at least he knows what the kids are like. If I can get him to cover my class - I just might go!

This is a great opportunity for me to learn how to become a better teacher. I am very nervous about taking it - but I have given so much of myself to my kids with very little in return that I feel ready to take on something that is going to help me in my future. So - with that being said, next week will be worksheets and videos week! :) Very nervous but it will also be a great test of my classroom management abilities. Do I have a well-run classroom? Do the students respect the sub and the classroom? Only time will tell. Then again, I could potentially ruin all the progress I thought I have made in one week!

My referral student is at it again. This guy just makes me want to smack him! Today he showed up to class and I sent him to the lab with 3 of the tests he has missed in his 15 days of absences. First he mouthed off to me because I told him he couldn't take his backpack in the lab with him. He told me he had "valuable" stuff in there. I told him he could keep it under my desk if that would make him feel more comfortable. He refused and put it under his own desk. Fine. Then, the rest of the class was to complete a lab activity that they started yesterday. He finished the tests with about 30 minutes left of class time (which would have been plenty of time to finish the lab.) Instead, he chose to not work, and scoff at me every time I asked him to get to work. So, I told him to stay in (for 10 minutes) to finish his lab at the beginning of his lunch. That set him off. He went off on me that he is too hungry to miss lunch and that he would never finish on time and how much he hated my class. As he stormed off to get his lab materials (which he never got to begin with), I thought to myself...."What the heck am I doing?" Why am I bending over backwards for this kid who obviously has no interest in respecting his education? When he returned, I told him that if he didn't care, to go. I can't force him to do his work and I am not going to stand here and listen to him speak rudely to me about getting his work done (he has a 12%) in my class. He grabbed his bag and walked out. I went down to the counselor and told her I was done. He is done in my class. I am not doing anything more.

Still waiting for the parent conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment