Total Pageviews

Monday, September 27, 2010

Week 9

Well, I have come to a realization - I am going to stop worrying about my class averages and start having fun. I am so tired of beating a dead horse when it comes to getting my kids to do their homework.

Today I had a moment of truth with my worst class. They told me the reason they do not do their homework is because they don't know how to do it. WHAT?! I write their homework at an 8th grade level! Their homework is simply a reiteration of the lesson for the day which we go over in class! What do you mean you don't know how to do your homework? It is called getting the book and your notes and looking it up!

But, as in every war, you have to pick your battles. So, I have conceded to telling them I will go over the homework with them in class on the day it is due. What I will do is stamp their homework at the beginning of class to make sure it is at least containing effort, then go over the homework with them in class and then collect it to grade it. The homework without a stamp, will be considered late - but at least they will get the points for writing down the answers as I go over them in class.

This is a little frustrating for me as I only have 50 minute class periods. 50 minutes to teach my lesson, keep the classroom under control, and complete the activity, pass out papers, pass out the homework, and now go over the homework?! Ah well - gotta give somewhere.

With the topic of having fun, I am going to stop focusing on them not completing their homework, and start enjoying my time in the classroom. As long as I am "teaching" the material per the district requirements, it is their own fault for not doing the homework right?

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely. :) Hope to see you on Friday, yes? We have much to talk about!

    ReplyDelete