Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Back Talk

I think I may have figured out the perfect solution to my back-talkers. I have 6 students I can always count on to give me lip when asked to do something or when told to do an assignment. SIX! Seriously creates a total bummer for my day. Especially when homework is due, or I am giving a quiz.

My solution? I just stare at them. I have stopped fighting, stopped arguing, stopped asking politely to keep their opinions to themselves. Now, I just stop and stare. I have had 1 kid tell me I am "creepy," one kid roll her eyes at me and mumble under her breath, and one kid stare me down. The rest stopped their whining and got right down to work. Miraculous! Let's see how long this will work for.

At the beginning of this quarter, I started documenting every time a student back talks me, or confronts me, or I have to move them for being disruptive, or they are not working when given time to do so in class. I have a traditional attendance grade book that I kept 1st quarter, but that proved to be way too tedious for my daily activities! Now, this system seems to be working much better since I can just document when they demonstrate behavior worth noting. Total silver bullet for the next 12 parent conferences I have to go to!

No comments:

Post a Comment