Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Performance Based Assessments

As a new teacher, I am required to attend these monthly meetings called CADRES. They are from 4pm - 6pm at various schools in our district. The problem is that our final bell rings at 3:05. This means I have 5 minutes to wrap things up in my classroom and make it out the door to fight traffic all the way to another campus about 30 miles away by 4pm. Not once has it happened that I make it there by 4pm. 4:17, 4:10, 4:13.... Geez! REALLY?! Of all the things they expect us to do we also have to drive in traffic for an extra hour to sit for another 2 hours which we are not paid for to learn how to be a better teacher? How about let me teach for the first year so I can be a better teacher?

The only really nice thing about it is it gives me a chance to bond with some other new teachers who are experiencing the EXACT same issues that I am. I really like this part. We have set up happy hour dates to hang out so we can vent and communicate with each other on ideas that are working and ideas that are not working. I love that and benefit more from that than anything else.

Tonight's CADRE was about Performance Based Assessments. Give kids the tools and a little guidance, and they will learn on their own. Perfect idea in the perfect classroom. Problem is I do not have the perfect classroom. My students will barely even come to class and put their name on a paper let alone take the initiative to teach themselves. When I give the kids the results on their assessments - my comments are followed with, "Miz, you didn't teach us this good enough." Excuse me?! I didn't teach you this good enough?! Where is your accountability? Where were you when I was going through the instructions? Oh, that's right you were still claiming to be "looking for my pencil" 17 minutes in to class when I asked you to get back on task. Teach you this good enough my butt! YOU DIDN'T LISTEN good enough! You were not prepared for class good enough. You were 8 minutes late to class good enough! You asked to go to the bathroom 22 minutes in to class good enough. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment