Total Pageviews

Monday, November 1, 2010

Tardy Policy

So, the tardy policy at our school is if a student is tardy to class, they owe the teacher 30 minutes of detention after school on the same day that they are tardy. If they don't show up, I write them up and they have to serve their detention with the Dean of Students.

In 2 days, I have written up 17 students. 17 students that did not show up to serve detention with me. The Dean of Students emailed me saying she had an idea. I thought, "Oh great. They are going to tell me that I can't write up students for not showing up for tardy detention." I reluctantly went down to the Dean's office on my lunch break and she totally shocked me with an idea.

"What if we did a round-up. Since school gets out at 3:05pm, we will call all these kids out of school at 3:00 pm and walk them to your room to serve detention with you."

That is the best idea I have heard yet! YES! We are still keeping the kids accountable for the detention time served.

Today, I also assigned 30 minute detention for students who did not complete their homework that was due today. I also had library duty. So, at the end of school, I had all my students (about 30 of them showed) in the library serving detention with me for not completing their homework. We went over a homework problem and although we did not have enough time to complete the homework, I still had them in the library to do it! :) YEAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment