I tried to use a method from another teacher with playing cards. You use 2 decks of cards, then take one deck and tape one card to each table top around the room. Using the other deck of cards, you pass them out to students as they enter the classroom. Sounds logical right? WRONG!
The second deck I had was designed with large airplanes on the face of the card. So when I gave the kids their card, they were trying to match airplanes and not paying attention to the suite or number on the card! That was a disaster! So, I let the kids sit wherever they wanted and here's a secret to all new teachers.......Personalities start to come out on DAY 2!!! Out of 6 classes, I had to separate kids in the middle of class in 4 of them! YEESH! Could have avoided all of that by creating a seating chart and moving them as needed. Two of my administrators did a walk-through of my room today at 3 different times and I was so grateful! They were very nice and looked at the activity my kids were doing and asked the kids questions. They showed a sincere interest in what we were doing and congratulated me on doing a good job. I am very thankful for the support and interest!
Very concerned about the academic level of some of my students. I gave them a basic Science Pretest today to see where I need to start from when I begin my instruction......I will be starting from the very beginning. Starting with how to spell the word "science." I found out the pass rate from our school in the Science category of the AIMS test was at 33%. 33%?!?! What is going on? What was changed when the scores dropped to 60%? 50%? 40%? What has changed?!
I will say this - I am very surprised at the level of laziness among teachers. Not that I am saying teachers in my department are lazy or teachers in general are lazy. They are not. Most teachers are very hard working and lead very busy lives. I didn't leave school today until 6pm. But I am single and the only person waiting for me at home is my dog. I don't have kids to pick up, or dinner to serve. BUT - how have things changed in any school after the results of the AIMS scores?
Again, my principal is fantastic. He says in every meeting that he isn't super concerned about the AIMS scores. We have a lot to fix at the school, and as things get fixed, the AIMS scores will improve. I believe this whole-heartily. However, how are teachers themselves taking ownership of this issue? What are teachers doing in the classroom to help improve and meet state standards to enhance the students ability to pass the AIMS test?
I understand first hand how difficult it is to design curriculum, and lessons, and prepare for the lesson the following day. Believe me - that is what I am doing right now and it SUCKS! But, as a tenured teacher, seeing that 33% pass rate has really got to hit home!
It is all over the news about teacher performance evaluations, and teacher lay-offs..... but where are teachers accountable? I sit in these Teacher Union meetings and all they talk about is how they are going to protect their jobs by using teaching experience, and number of years in education to hide behind. But, what happens when you have a teacher who has been teaching for 10 years, (compared to me who is in year 1), and doesn't teach? What happens when that 10 year tenured teacher gives her students worksheets to do all day every day, doesn't create lab activities for her kids to do, and doesn't TEACH gets to keep her job and I get let go? How is this fair?
One of the ways they are talking about evaluating teachers is by requiring teachers to keep student portfolios of their work through the year. This is going to be a MAJOR overhaul for most teachers. However, what a great way to evaluate. Students do not have to show mastery of the content area they are being evaluated for. Students only have to show 1 year of improvement in that content area for that year. I have students at the 5th grade reading level in my class. They are not expecting me to get them up to a 10th grade reading level in one year.... Just achieve a 6th grade level mastery.
Granted, I am naive, and there may be more to the evaluation than a portfolio, but I expect to be held accountable. As a new teacher, I want to be the best. I want my students to be the most dedicated. I want to develop good teaching habits and not fall in to the poor or negative ones. I want worksheets to ACCOMPANY activities, not be the activity.
No comments:
Post a Comment