Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 1, 2010

LAST DAY!

Today was the last day before students arrive at my school. I packed up the remaining items I would need for my classroom, picked up my sister (who is a sophomore at another school), and headed to my school to finish getting ready. No one was at the school and we were locked out. Since it was still early (9am on a Sunday), I took my sister to breakfast at the Original Pancake House which is the best breakfast in Phoenix! We had a nice breakfast and headed back to the school.

No one was there. Now I was starting to freak! I started calling some of the office numbers on the off chance someone was inside, and when I called the head of security, he answered. He answered because his office calls are forwarded to his personal cell phone! He was at his mother-in-laws house and came all the way down to the school to let me in! I was SO THANKFUL! When I apologized for interrupting his Sunday, he said, "You have so much energy and enthusiasm, you need to be encouraged. We need more teachers like you." How sweet is that!?! Now I need to think of an awesome "thank you" gift for him for all his help.

My sister and I got my room ready, made all my copies and are all set to go at least for the first day. I have no idea what I am going to do the rest of the week, but I will think about that tomorrow. I just want to get through tomorrow. My parents came down to the school and saw my classroom. My mom was very pleased to see my curtains hanging up. Not all are finished, but the few that are look great! Pictures to post tomorrow. We went to dinner at a fabulous little Italian restaurant Tommy V's (great food!) near my school then headed home. This is the sister restaurant of Tomaso's. The food is very delicious and reasonably priced! Environment is quaint too!

The hostess at my weekend job called me and asked me to come by to pick up a First Day of School present. She made me a little care package full of pencil boxes, pens, markers, twinkies, and a coffee mug! She is so cute! I sincerely appreciated her gift. It made me feel so special in such a crazy time!

My principal was also there later that afternoon. He sent me a text message asking if I needed anything. I still don't have full internet access, and the student system for attendance still isn't working under my sign-in name, but those are minor details. I also need an American Flag for my room. That is at the top of my list to get.

My middle sister's godmother is a teacher in New Mexico on the Navajo Indian Reservation. She sent a little gift too. She gave me an apple pendant with a teacher's prayer. I am going to be saying that over and over again tomorrow! Thank you!!!!

I am taking a deep breath, some aspirin, and heading to bed to get ready for a great first day of my new career! I cannot wait to meet my students and start this new chapter in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment