Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week 4 is over!

Well, it has been awhile since I have commented, and I am really regretting not getting some of this stuff down sooner. My house is now officially disgustingly dirty since I have not had enough time to sleep, let alone clean. Things are going pretty well for me, but not necessarily well for my students. I gave my BIO kids their first chapter test on Thursday, and out of 32 kids in one of my classes, only 22 showed up to take the test. I have had consistently 7-8 kids absent every day this entire week in my Bio class.

Went to a meeting at another high school in the district (that is about 2 hours away from my house with traffic!) after school on Thursday and all the teachers said that my attendance rate would go up if I improved the ambiance in my classroom. EXCUSE ME?!? I am the most happy, perky, peppy, person out there! Just ask the beeoch who I used to work with in corporate America! She tried to have a "one on one" meeting with my manager and me to discuss my "peppiness" in the morning. Whatever. I am so stressed with other things going on, I am going to just keep doing what I am doing and maybe the tides will turn. If not, then at Christmas, I will re-evaluate my ambiance.

I have a class clown. A majorly funny class clown. This kid is so funny that I have a hard time keeping a straight face when I have to discipline him. Oh, wait... not "discipline," sorry, it is called "correcting his behavior." One of the most hilarious moments.... he brought a harmonica with him to class. Every time my back was turned, he blew a couple of notes on his harmonica. I wanted to fall on the ground laughing. But, it was still disrupting the learning process of my classroom. 2 days went by and finally, he surrendered the harmonica. I gave it back to him on Friday, with the promise he wouldn't bring it to class again. He also gave me an incredible teachers moment. He was failing my class and as a result, could not go on the JROTC camping trip to shoot paintball guns in Payson, AZ. He came in to my classroom after school on Wednesday, before school on Thursday, during his lunch on Thursday, after school on Thursday, and before school on Friday to get his work corrected and turned in. On Friday during our Advisory (homeroom) class, he came in dressed in his military fatigues and said, "Ms. Dooley, I just wanted to let you know that I won't be in class today because you let me go on this trip. I wanted to say thank you and I really appreciate your help."

I almost cried over how proud I was of him.

My discipline referral student I did cry over has had horrible attendance. Hardly making it to class at all, coming to class un prepared, ect.... needless to say, he is failing.

I have a SPED student who wrote the word "F*CK" on my desk in pencil. He is in my 7th period Bio class and classified as "clinically depressed." Hmmm.... he doesn't seem depressed to me, just seems like he needs a major wake-up call to reality. I took a picture of the desk and contacted his SPED case worker. I showed her the desk and she told me, "You are lucky he didn't tell you to F*CK OFF!"

Pardone moi?

I am lucky? I don't think so. I told her I would be calling him in to my class either before school, after school, or during lunch for him to clean my desks. I figured he and I should spend some time together. I wasn't planning on a public humiliation. I was planning to put on some music and clean desks with him to try and get to know him a little better and build a rapport? The case worker has said he is in trouble with her and she would handle it. We will see about that.

Next week is theme week and Tuesday is twin day. I want to make a paper mache head of my own head and wear it on my shoulder like Steve Carrell did in The Office. Anyone have any ideas how to do that? :)



2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the ranks! I want to comment on the F..K situation. I had something similar, but my student wrote in her journal, "This assignment was stupid and gay." I was Pissed! However, I needed to confront her, and so, to not put her on the defensive side, I simply asked her the next day, "I'm confused as to why you said "stupid and gay," because the word gay means happy. So, were you contradicted yourself, and I want to know were you either saying the assignment was stupid, or that you were happy that you did it?" I think, the same approach could work here. I'd say something like, "I saw you wrote the F-Bomb (btw, the kids love it when you say, "Don't drop the F Bomb in your books please," and I was just curious what you were thinking that made you write it." Obviously something is bothering him. Depressed; well, we all are! LOL

    As for the "creating a better room," comment, apparently the teacher does not understand your population. You have to remember, as I am sure you do, that for our population (because I handle the same students), Education is not a top priority for them. They probably say "what does science do for me? How can it help me?" I know you are an awesome teacher, and you probably plan more than I could ever imagine, so, maybe there is away to apply science to your population. Biology and gun wounds, Biology and stabbings, etc. They have to see that connection; but I'm sure you already know this. :))

    I have a class clown too; and I found that making him my "friend," helped to defuse the problem.

    I hope you are having fun!!!
    Mr. Work-o-holic himself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still reading each and every one of your posts, chicka! Keep up the great work!!! I'm exhausted just reading your posts- you're such an inspiration!!! :D

    Love you!!
    DeAnna

    ReplyDelete