Friday night, our school lost 2 students in a tragic car accident. Ten kids piled in to a white SUV and a horrible accident occurred. The SUV flipped over killing 2 and sending the rest of the kids to various hospitals around the valley with critical injuries.
Friday night, I turned on the news as I got ready for bed like I always do and I heard the story break....."Tragic way to begin the school year, 2 valley teens killed in a car accident and 8 others sent to the hospital with life threatening injuries." My heart sunk. Our school district is the only district that has started school. I ran to my bedroom to catch the name of the school, and sure enough......it was mine. I sent text messages to my co-teachers whose phone numbers I had in my phone, and immediately my phone began ringing. The news hit the school and the community like an earthquake. The principal opened up the school and the gym. Teachers, Administrators, parents, students, and members of the community filled the gym to grieve. The names of the kids involved in the crash have not been released (except for the two who did not make it), but everyone is affected.
They held a candlelight vigil last night at the site of the accident. I went with one of the other teachers. To see the site made me nauseous. Adults, kids both young and old weeping on their knees at the loss of their friend, brother, cousin, nephew, and son. When the other teacher and I first arrived, I was surprised to see not very many people there. As the teacher and I sat on the curb praying and weeping, all the sudden, lights began to come out of the dark street. About 300 people were silently walking up the street holding candles walking to the site. As they neared the site, you could hear the sobbing of women, men, and children who could no longer put on a brave face. People silently placed their candles at the site, and fell silent to say a prayer.
As people slowly started to move around the area, I saw the faces of my students. So many of them struck with grief at the loss of their friends. Not really knowing what to do and feeling very out of place, I went up to one of my female students to offer my condolences. She threw her arms around me in one of the tightest hugs I have ever had. She stood right next to me the entire vigil.
I knew I was going to be affected personally by entering the field of education. I grossly underestimated the level of affection I felt that night. I barely know these kids. I have had them in my classroom for 1 week! That's it! I don't know anyone in their community. But I still could not keep myself from crying. I felt so helpless. The kids all looked so frightened. The other teacher I was with said it best, "Kids think they are invincible. Then a tragedy like this happens and they realize they are mortal."
I have no idea how I am supposed to teach a lesson on Scientific Methods on Monday. I talked to my auntie who teaches on the Indian Reservation. She gave me a great idea to offer the kids a journal writing activity. Let them write letters, or make a card for the kids who are still in the hospital, or their families. I hope it will at least give them a positive outlet to release some of their emotions.
No comments:
Post a Comment