Whew! I survived my first week! My kids have done 4 labs and I think, I think, they have enjoyed each one of them! My goal was to get both of my preps (physical science and biology) back in to the big lab today to keep them interested in science. I wanted the big lab to be something they feel comfortable in, and not afraid of or intimidated by. Mission: I think accomplished! :)
Bio kids did a milk lab in class and the physical science kids did a potato lab. Both labs were served as an introductory to scientific processes. The Bio kids really enjoyed the swirling colors and none of them finished. They were all asking me if we could do it again on Monday or if they could at least finish the lab on Monday. That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! The potato lab isn't my favorite lab, but it worked so far and served it's purpose. I will be on the look-out for a better lab in case I have to teach this again next year.
The school had their first assembly today. Freshman vs. Sophomores vs. Juniors vs. Seniors. I was standing guard over the freshmen making sure they knew my eyes were on them. Assembly was emceed by our principal who gave a very useful power point presentation about the importance of being responsible and respectful at school. He used a lot of pictures and made a lot of hilarious references which made everyone laugh. At the end of the assembly, the cheerleaders went on stage and they played the fight song for the school. I turned to all my freshmen (about 150) and told them all to stand up for school spirit. I said they had to sing the fight song. They fired back with, "Miz, we dunno the words." I told them they could clap along and cheer for their school. The music started and I turned to face the stage and started singing the fight song (which I memorized last week). As I am singing my heart out and clapping along with the music, I turn around mid-song....... and I am the ONLY ONE singing and clapping!! All the freshman were staring at me like I was crazy! I almost stopped then I realized, "This is one of those 'Teachable Moments'........keep going!" So I did. All alone!
Something to work on with the freshmen in my class! :) Week one is over and tomorrow is Saturday. I am heading to the school to get a jump on next week so it is not so chaotic as this week. Maybe I won't be at school until 6:30 at night next week?!
Sounds like you have one rough week. Granted, you might have looked "the fool," you showed them what school spirit looks like! You should try to build a sciene lesson around school spirit; not sure what exactly, but maybe you could do something.
ReplyDeleteI'm sooo very proud of you Miss Dooley!!!! :D
ReplyDelete